Spotting Trouble Early: Ambis Dental’s Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer is a serious health threat that affects thousands of Americans each year. Experts recommend regular oral cancer screenings as the best way to detect signs of the disease early when treatment is most effective. At Ambis Dental in Ithaca, NY, we make oral cancer screenings a standard part of our comprehensive exams. Our top general dentist, Dr. Edward Ambis carefully examines the mouth, throat, tongue, lips, and lymph nodes, feeling for lumps or abnormalities that could indicate cancer.
Catching warning signs early with a screening at Ambis Dental can truly save lives. That’s why we recommend oral cancer screenings for patients of all ages during routine visits. Through professional exams and early detection, we’re working to reduce the impact of oral cancer in our community.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is the foundation of optimal oral health. The cornerstone of preventive dentistry at Ambis Dental is regular oral cancer screenings. These screenings are essential as they can detect oral cancer at an early stage, increasing the chances of successful treatment and improved outcomes.
What Are Oral Cancer Screenings?
Oral cancer screenings are non-invasive examinations conducted by Dr. Ambis to identify any signs of oral cancer or precancerous conditions in your mouth. The process is quick, and painless, and can be performed during your routine dental check-ups. By examining your mouth carefully, including your lips, tongue, gums, cheeks, and the roof and floor of your mouth, Dr. Ambis can identify any abnormalities that may warrant further investigation.
Early detection is crucial in combating oral cancer successfully. When left untreated, oral cancer can lead to serious health complications and even be life-threatening. However, with routine screenings at our Ithaca, NY, dental office, you can stay ahead of any potential risks and ensure a healthy smile for years to come.
Signs of Possible Oral Cancer
Oral cancer can manifest in various ways, and being aware of the signs can prompt early detection. Some common symptoms that might indicate possible oral cancer include:
- Persistent Mouth Sores: If you have mouth sores that don’t heal within two weeks, it’s essential to have them checked by Dr. Ambis. While not all sores are cancerous, it’s crucial to rule out any potential risks.
- Unexplained Red or White Patches: Red or white patches on the lining of your mouth or tongue may be indicative of oral cancer. A thorough examination by our Ithaca, NY, dentist can help identify their cause.
- Difficulty Swallowing or Chewing: Oral cancer may lead to difficulty in swallowing or chewing, impacting your overall oral function.
- Persistent Sore Throat or Hoarseness: If you experience ongoing soreness in your throat or your voice becomes hoarse without any apparent reason, it’s wise to seek a professional evaluation.
- Numbness or Pain in the Mouth: Unexplained numbness, pain, or tenderness in the mouth or lips can be potential warning signs of oral cancer.
- Changes in Dental Alignment: Oral cancer can sometimes cause your teeth to shift or loosen inexplicably.
- Unexplained Weight Loss: If you are experiencing unexplained weight loss along with any of the above symptoms, it’s essential to consult Dr. Ambis for an oral cancer screening.
Remember that these symptoms do not necessarily indicate oral cancer, but they should prompt a visit to Ambis Dental for a thorough evaluation to rule out any potential concerns.